1) This is why I wish celebrities would stand there and look pretty and not open their mouths.
2) Why I hate the whole cult of celebrity. Especially on Tumblr. OMG WHAT IS YOUR FACE and all that bullshit. You are going to worship this person because of a role they played that you liked. You’re going to follow everything they do, not because you admire their work as an actor, but because you’ve elevated them to some status they can’t possibly hope to fulfill. And then… when they say or do indefensible things, you will blindly defend them, getting angry and hateful and violent with anyone who stands up and say… no, what he/she said/did is NOT ok.
3) Why? Because they’re pretty. If some random asshole said the same exact things on Tumblr, the social justice bloggers would annihilate him in five minutes and we would all move on with our lives. But since they’re pretty, and played that one character we really connected with that one time, they get a free pass on life. Because they’re famous and cool and important, and therefore nothing they do can be wrong—or at least it’s excusable and defendable… even when it’s really not.
4) BUT OMG HE IS PERFECT AND HIS FACE IS PERFECT AND HE IS SO GORGEOUS AND HIS WIFE IS PERFECT AND HIS KIDS ARE PERFECT, WHAT IS LIFE. *sigh* No. He’s not. He’s a person. And there’re decent people and there’re shitty people and there’re nice people and there’re people who don’t really have the comprehension skills to do more than parrot back a series of opinions that sound vaguely right to them about society.
5) I appreciate his work. Before you start flaming me, don’t say I am some kind of hater or that I hate the fandom or I hate… whatever. In fact, I have enjoyed his work in every movie I’ve ever seen him in. Largely, he was the best thing in HHGTTG. He makes it bearable to watch despite the presence of She Who Must Not Be Named. Wild Target was fucking hysterical on so many levels. It’s possible no one will appreciate his John Watson as much as I do. That said… that’s his work. That’s his JOB. He gets up, he goes there, and he does it, and he gets paid for it. He’s not fucking magic because he’s an actor. His opinion is not automatically more valuable, or more precious, or more defendable… or even more EXCUSABLE because you have decided to worship his pretty face, and have decided that everything he does MUST be perfect because of some roles he’s played.
AGRHHHH. LIFE. THINGS.